Monday, October 5, 2009

Recycle

I keep discovering new things that are easily recyclable. I'll bet most of you are just tossing little bits of paper, packaging, and more.

I keep bins around the house for paper. Tags from clothing, packaging inserts, straw wrappers, paper scraps, newspapers, junk mail, cereal and other dry food boxes, shoe boxes, receipts, and more go in the bins, then everything gets taken out with the recycling on Thursdays.

How many of those things do you throw away?

For plastic, look at everything - unfortunately many companies don't bother to put a number on their packaging, but for those that do, HOORAY! Most communities will easily recycle #1 and #2 plastics. I'm trying to find somewhere closer than Whole Foods that does #5 (prescription bottles and other types of thicker/sturdier plastics), but for now I've got a bag going that I'll eventually bring over there. You know the lampshade collar that poor Madigan had to wear? It's a #5 so easily recycled! Although I will probably just drop that off at Animal Services - better to reuse than recycle.

I hardly ever get a bag at any store, opting instead of bring my own. Not just grocery stores, all stores - clothing, Build-a-Bear, drugstores, grocery, crafts, you name it. (Part of this is helping to justify my obsession with totebags though lol). Rob is afraid to come into the house with plastic grocery bags now - he hides them from me lol.

I pack Rob's lunch every night - maybe 2x a month will he get something in a ziploc, everything else is in a reusable container.

I'm not perfect in my quest to save the planet - and by no means can I do it alone - but I do what I can, and hope you all do the same!
Jenn

No comments: