Sunday, May 11, 2008

Status of my "One Word"

If you recall, in January I took a cue from Ali Edwards and picked one word that would be my theme for the year. I chose CALM.

I have repated that word to myself many times over the past few months, and many times, it works. But right now it's hard.

I found out a couple weeks ago after a biopsy that I have to have most if not all of my thyroid removed. I have never been in the hospital (except to be born!), never under anesthesia, so I'm very scared. My doctor said that I should feel a lot better after this is done, so I'm trying to remember that while I'm laying awake and night and my stomach's in knots. Fortunately, even if the final result is cancer, it's pretty much cured with the removal of my thyroid and I shouldn't have to worry about it again. I will have to be on medication for the rest of my life, but I would have had to anyway. My thyroid's pretty much useless, just taking up real estate and not doing what it's supposed to.

If you want to read more on hypothyroidism (what I have) and other thyroid disorders, go to http://www.thyroid.org/.

Thanks for listening.
Hugs,
Jenn

No comments: