Friday, June 13, 2008

Home from surgery - no cancer!

You know how sometimes anticipation is worse than the reality? Well it almost was! I've been a nervous wreck the last couple weeks, but my surgery and hospital experience couldn't have been any better.

We arrived Thursday morning at 5:15am, and happened to meet my prep nurse, Erica, in the elevator. She kept calling me "chica" and was just a little odd. Nice though! She got me to change into the beautiful hospital gown (got to keep my undies on, yay), gave me some goofy slipper socks that were a couple sizes too big (they kept twisting around the whole time I was there lol), and then made me put on these horrid white TED hose that were really tight (kept blood circulating) and two massage thingys around my calves (didn't know how nice those were until they were turned on later - can I have some for home?). She started my IV - my first one ever. It wasn't so bad. I talked to my surgeon and my anesthesiologist and got to hang out with Rob until time to go.

I got wheeled away, and don't remember anything until someone was saying I did really good and it's over. I wasn't even the least bit nauseous and didn't really hurt, so I was confused thinking they weren't talking to me! Then I spent a few minutes wondering if I still had my shower cap thingy on, until I finally reached my hand up to find out it wasn't there lol. I was in and out, and eventually got taken to my room. I got really good news - no cancer! They have to do final testing on it, but there's very little chance it'll be malignant. I'm so relieved! Rob came up with Jill, who had come to the hospital to keep Rob company (thanks for everything Jill!)

I never did feel nauseous (big YAY), pain has been only at about 3-4 out of 10 and that's mostly sore throat. My lip hurts because the breathing tube brushed against it - it's swollen and I look funny lol. I had IV fluids for awhile, but that stopped and I got to put my own jammies on. I had to pee in a "hat" which is really a bowl they set in the toilet - I swear they need to use those for pee tests, so much easier than the little cup! I didn't realize how much IV fluids I got until I peed lol - LOTS! Fortunately I only had to use the hat a few times.

I had "clear liquids" for lunch - jello and Italian ice. I did so well that I got real food later. Take a wild guess what I had for dinner... if you guessed mac & cheese, you're right lol! It was really good, and I enjoyed my chicken caesar salad and strawberry ice cream too. They even had sweet tea! Besides Jill and Rob of course, a couple friends who work at the hospital stopped by to see me - Jan and Cindy.

My nurses were so awesome, I had Elizabeth all day Thursday (Caren was my tech), Eva all night (Pearl was my tech), and then this morning Rhonda and Caren (again). I slept a whole bunch, except when Pearl came in every four hours to do my vitals lol. I had percoset each time, so I ate a lot of pudding throughout the night. Someone decided she needed to draw blood at 5am. My veins weren't even awake then! She had to do it in my right hand!

This morning I was up at 8, ordered breakfast (biscuits and gravy and Italian ice!), ate, had drugs, and went back to bed. Rob got to the hospital, and my sugeon came in, pulled the drain out (ouch) and the tape off (major ouch) and signed my release papers. My incision is UGLY! I'm out of work until late next week, after I get my staples out.

Rob took me home, and I washed my face - felt soooooo good! I have been sleeping off and on throughout the day, and will probably crash again soon. Puppies missed me and have been good about not jumping on me. I missed them last night!

I have some pics but Rob has to find the camera, so I'll post those later.

I want to brag about my wonderful husband - he's been super throughout my whole surgery and leading up to it. He's been there every step of the way, and has jumped anytime I needed anything, whether it's making sweet tea when we got home, helping get me and my IV pole to the bathroom, holding my hand, or just keeping me company. I love you Rob!

2 comments:

Amy said...

What a relief! I'm so glad you have good news, and that everything went well.

Adriane Kelly Winchester said...

Ditto! I am glad you made it though... not as bad as you imagined it huh?